Dr Ian Matthews,
Chief Executive Officer is
available to undertake independent
consultancy work to the pharmaceutical and
Dr Matthews has considerable experience in
drug discovery, development and diagnostics
gained over 30 years within the
biotechnology, diagnostic and pharmaceutical
industries. His experience spans many
therapeutic areas including cancer,
inflammation, anti-virals, respiratory and
Main areas of expertise
Dr Ian Matthews received his PhD from Bath University in 1978 after
researching into the synthesis of anti-cancer drugs. His thesis is entitled
‘The Synthesis of Benzoellipticine’. He then undertook Post Doctoral
research at The Strangeways Research Laboratory, Cambridge between 1978 and
Brief career overview
1982-1985. Research Scientist, Amersham International plc.
1985-1989. Section Leader, Advanced Drug Delivery Research Unit, Ciba-Geigy
1989-1991. Senior Scientist, Department of Peptide Preformulation and
Delivery, Ciba-Geigy plc.
1991-July 1997. Senior scientist, Department of Thrombosis, Drug Discovery,
Ciba plc. and Laboratory Head, Drug Discovery, Novartis, Horsham.
July 1997- August 1998. Head of Chemistry, Antisoma plc.
August 1998 - April 1999. Head of Research and Development, Antisoma plc.
April 1999-September 2001. Science Director ChemOvation Ltd.
October 2001 - November 2004. Chief Scientific Officer, ChemOvation Ltd and
Director of Chemistry, KuDOS Pharmaceuticals Ltd.
December 2004 to date, CEO ChemOvation Limited.
June 2009 to date, CEO RioTech Pharmaceuticals Limited.
Dr Ian Matthews is the main author on a number of scientific papers and book
1) K.A. Menear, P.W. Taylor, I.T.W. Matthews and J. Lowrie. Novel
rifamycin as lipid lowering agents. European Patent ER-314-041-A (1987).
2) Lowther, N; Hassan, I; Matthews, ITW. Desferrioxamine-B salts and
their use as orally effective iron chelators. Patent publication number wo
3) Felder, E; Rink, H and Matthews, I.T.W. Process for the production
of combinatorial libraries. wo 9516209 (1995).
4) Matthews, I.T.W. Patent pending, solution phase organic library
synthesis and screening.
5) Thrombin inhibitor patent. Filing, May 1997.
6) Adaptation of a PCR cycler for heating and cooling on Chiron Mimitope
synthetic PINS. Patent Pending.
7) Various patents filed as a result of work carried out at ChemOvation
and KuDOS identifying inhibitors of a number of DNA repair Kinase enzymes.
If you would like further information on our consultancy services please
contact Dr Ian Matthews on +44 (0) 1403 276500 or email
· ChemOvation Limited. · Graylands Estate, Langhurstwood Road, Horsham, West Sussex, RH12 4QD,
United Kingdom ·
· email@example.com · Tel: +44 (0) 1403 276500 ·